Reverse osmosis refers to a chemical treatment process for water. The process forces water through specialized membranes and exerts a certain amount of pressure on it to remove foreign contaminants, solid substances, large molecules and minerals. Reverse osmosis is a water purification system used around the world to help improve water for drinking, cooking and other important uses.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the reverse osmosis filtering system can effectively remove lead, thus making it safe for consumption. Excess levels of lead in the body can result in increased blood pressure, problems with fertility and development of nerve and muscle damage. Lead may even lead to brain damage and cause severe anemia in children.
According to the CDC, reverse osmosis water does not contain cryptosporidium, a parasite found in contaminated water. Once ingested, this parasite affects the small intestines, causing stomach cramps, fever and diarrhea. Children who ingest this parasite can experience dehydration and malnutrition.